Thursday, September 14, 2006

Dave Sim's blogandmail #1 (September 13th, 2006)

Wednesday September 13 – Hi and welcome to my Blog. I'm actually going to try to stay current with this on a daily basis, having noticed that I spent way too much time saying to myself while answering my escargot mail "I really should make a note of that and let the Yahoos know about it" and never, you know, actually doing it. Even tried self-inducing a trance-like state and saying to a particular paragraph in a letter I was working on: "Go to Larry Hart (or Lenny Cooper or Jeff Seiler or Jeff Tundis or…you get the idea). Go to him now and tell him what you have to say. Tell him to post you to the Yahoo discussion group. Go now" You know, I figured if I had it typed on my computer screen and I just wanted it to go to another computer screen, maybe I could make it into a Lassie-type gig. "Go to the Yahoos. Tell them you need help."



Finally, I decided to make Uber Yahoo and Minister-in-Charge-of-Checking-Dave Sim-for-Hypocrisy-on-Behalf-of-Secular-Humanists-Everywhere Jeff Tundis (check out his www.cerebustheaardvark.com website, still in progress) my posting victim. The nice thing about Jeff is, like me, he is always working so I never have any trouble getting him on the phone. The even nicer thing about Jeff is that even though he's up to his ass in crocodiles as a general rule, he's always glad to find out what it is that I want (or he's glad to pretend to be interested in finding out what it is that I want which is "close enough for government work" for me!). He pretty much put this format together while I was still talking to him on the phone and asking him if it was possible. So I really found out that it was possible for me to do a Blog without actually being hooked up to the Internet and found out that I was now doing a Blog pretty much in the same moment. So, we'll launch the new "Blog & Mail" right after this brief commercial message.


The Blog & Mail is brought to you today by

www.cerebusart.com

Your "One-Stop Shopping Headquarters" for all your Cerebus Art Needs Well, okay, not ALL of your Cerebus Art Needs. Let's say you NEEDED all of the interior pages for issue 8. Well, we haven't got them. SOMEBODY sold them for $10 apiece back in 1978 and spent the money on marijuana. Not naming any names.


In the Blog & Mail today:


IN TALES OF THE SILVERFISH #4 WITH CEREBUS ART AND DIALOGUE BY DAVE SIM CEREBUS CROSSES OVER WITH THE SILVERFISH. This was quite a bit of fun to do from John Q. Adams' layouts although I changed it from the regular old dying Cerebus of The Last Day to Cerebus' first post-mortem guest appearance at a comic book convention.



The pages sat around here for a while as I tried to figure out how to put tone on Cerebus and still have the Silverfish in the foreground. That was when I figured out they're just
cartoon silverfish: draw a head and a body shape and people should get the idea from the context. People are, you know, pretty bright that way. Even did my own (albeit second-rate on a Gerhard scale) backgrounds! Some or all of the proceeds from issue 4 will be donated to the CBLDF [see www.SilverfishGallery.com or www.jqadams.com for details]. The Silverfish Gallery features an extensive exhibit of silverfish cartoons done by a variety of comic-book big names and some little names.



It also took a while for the issue to get printed which is pretty much par for the course for rookies and folks for whom cartooning and self-publishing is not their regular gig. I tend to think about that when I'm working on a jam strip for somebody: I wonder what's going to be going on in my life when this turns up in printed form? Sometimes the stuff just vanishes and I never get an answer to that question.

___________________________________________________

If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
P.O. Box 1674
Station C
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/cerebusgn.chtml

Or, you can check out Mars Import:

www.marsimport.com/display_series.php?ID=142

Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors. Here are the Diamond Star System codes:

Cerebus #1-25 $30.00 STAR00070

High Society #26-50 $30.00 STAR00071

Church and State I #52-80 $35.00 STAR00271

Church and State II #81-111 $35.00 STAR00321

Jaka's Story #114-136 $30.00 STAR00359

Melmoth #139-150 $20.00 STAR00431

Flight #151-162 $20.00 STAR00543

Women #163-174 $20.00 STAR00849

Reads #175-186 $20.00 STAR01063

Minds #187-200 $20.00 STAR01916

Guys #201-219 $25.00 STAR06972

Rick's Story #220-231 $20.00 STAR08468

Going Home I #232-250 $30.00 STAR10981

Form and Void #251-265 $30.00 STAR13500

Latter Days #266 - 288 $35.00 AUG031920

The Last Day #289 - 300 $25.00 APR042189