Dave Sim's blogandmail #272 (June 10th, 2007)
Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast That Make You a Good Feminist
1. A mother who works a full-time job and delegates to strangers the raising of her children eight hours a day, five days a week does just as good a job as a mother who hand-rears her children full time.
2. It makes great sense for the government to pay 10 to 15,000 dollars a year to fund a daycare space for a child so its mother - who pays perhaps 2,000 dollars in taxes - can be a contributing member of society.
3. A woman's doctor has more of a valid claim to participate in the decision to abort a fetus than does the father of that fetus.
4. So long as a woman makes a decision after consulting with her doctor, she is incapable of making an unethical choice.
5. A car with two steering wheels, two gas pedals and two brakes drives more efficiently than a car with one steering wheel, one gas pedal and one brake which is why marriage should always be an equal partnership.
6. It is absolutely necessary for women to be allowed to join or participate fully in any gathering place for men, just as it is absolutely necessary that there be women only environments from which men are excluded.
7. Because it involves taking jobs away from men and giving them to women, affirmative action makes for a fairer and more just society.
8. It is important to have lower physical standards for women firepersons and women policepersons so that, one day, half of all firepersons and policepersons will be women, thus more effectively protecting the safety of the public.
9. Affirmative action at colleges and universities needs to be maintained now that more women than men are being enrolled, in order to keep from giving men an unfair advantage academically.
10. Having ensured that there is no environment for men where women don't belong (see no.6) it is important to have zero tolerance of any expression or action which any woman might regard as sexist to ensure greater freedom for everyone.
11. Only in a society which maintains a level of 95% of alimony and child support being paid by men to women can men and women be considered as equals.
12. An airline stewardess who earned $20,000 a year at the time that she married a baseball player earning $6 million a year is entitled, in the event of a divorce, to $3 million for each year of the marriage and probably more.
13. A man's opinions on how to rear and/or raise a child are invalid because he is not the child's mother. However, his financial obligation is greater because no woman gets pregnant by herself.
14. Disagreeing with any of these statements makes you anti-woman and/or a misogynist.
15. Legislature Seats must be allocated to women and women must be allowed to bypass the democratic winnowing process in order to guarantee female representation and, thereby, make democracy fairer.
Okay, having to dig down a few layers to try and find something appropriate for the Sunday Edition this week and what I came up with was a comic book and a letter from "Big George" Stasinos from 15 March of this year:
"It was great meeting you and Gerhard last October for the Salt Lake City Library Author Series which highlighted your work. I was there to check out your best-selling comic CEREBUS! I never realized that it would to the incredible review you gave my work. I do appreciate your letter as well. Included for you is another BIG GEORGE COMIC which I am sure you will enjoy. Once, years ago, I was soooooo sick I actually felt like dying. This is when my active mind conceived and wrote BIG GEORGE COMICS #15 which concentrates on my death and the journey afterwards. A lot of people have told me that my comic books are just an extension of me…….meaning that I am truly a positive and happy person. I do love life and appreciate and acknowledge all that God has done for me. Your last book is impressive and is significantly spiritual as well. No wonder I liked it so much. Keep up the good work.!
"Sincerely, Big George." George Stasinos, 846 East Uintah Avenue, Tooele, Utah, 84074
And here it is: BIG GEORGE COMICS #15 "The Death of Big George" ("We are here today to pay our last respects to a very great a wonderful man who inspired us all!" "This eulogy sounds like it was written by Big George!" "It was!")
I don't want to give away too much of it since it's only 14 pages long, but the inside front cover gives you an idea of where Big George is "coming from":
"Every day each of us is one step closer to the grave. As we pass from this life to the next we enter a portal called death. Many people, out of fear, avoid even thinking about the inevitable. Life is indeed sacred, but death, like every part of God's plan for us, is important. Maybe it is because I just turned 40 that I'm so preoccupied with my own death in this issue of BIG GEORGE COMICS. I've been waiting all my life to partake in this ultimate experience. I'm sure death has a different meaning to all of us. To me, death is just a continuation of life that sends us on into our next adventure. It is my definite opinion that we each have an eternal dimension to our existence. The scriptures say, "Like the few grains of sand on a seashore, or like a few drops of water in the ocean so are the years of our life here on this earth compared to the eternities before us!" I hope this issue of BIG GEORGE COMICS will entertain you as well as raise your level of consciousness to the beyond!"
That was back in 1994 and unless he was just having a particularly good day, he's still just as bright and cheerful now that he's a few years into his fifties.
So, I just talked to Mimi Cruz and we're going to see about getting together a Faith Based Signing for Night Flight Comics sometime in August since I already decided to spend my summer vacation with her and Alan this year out in Salt Lake City. She's up for it, so I'll let you know what we come up with.
REPLIES POSTED ON THE CEREBUS YAHOO! GROUP
If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:
Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
P.O. Box 1674
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2
Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:
Or, you can check out Mars Import:
Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors.