Dave Sim's blogandmail #430 (November 15th, 2007)
Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast That Make You a Good Feminist
1. A mother who works a full-time job and delegates to strangers the raising of her children eight hours a day, five days a week does just as good a job as a mother who hand-rears her children full time.
2. It makes great sense for the government to pay 10 to 15,000 dollars a year to fund a daycare space for a child so its mother - who pays perhaps 2,000 dollars in taxes - can be a contributing member of society.
3. A woman's doctor has more of a valid claim to participate in the decision to abort a fetus than does the father of that fetus.
4. So long as a woman makes a decision after consulting with her doctor, she is incapable of making an unethical choice.
5. A car with two steering wheels, two gas pedals and two brakes drives more efficiently than a car with one steering wheel, one gas pedal and one brake which is why marriage should always be an equal partnership.
6. It is absolutely necessary for women to be allowed to join or participate fully in any gathering place for men, just as it is absolutely necessary that there be women only environments from which men are excluded.
7. Because it involves taking jobs away from men and giving them to women, affirmative action makes for a fairer and more just society.
8. It is important to have lower physical standards for women firepersons and women policepersons so that, one day, half of all firepersons and policepersons will be women, thus more effectively protecting the safety of the public.
9. Affirmative action at colleges and universities needs to be maintained now that more women than men are being enrolled, in order to keep from giving men an unfair advantage academically.
10. Having ensured that there is no environment for men where women don't belong (see no.6) it is important to have zero tolerance of any expression or action which any woman might regard as sexist to ensure greater freedom for everyone.
11. Only in a society which maintains a level of 95% of alimony and child support being paid by men to women can men and women be considered as equals.
12. An airline stewardess who earned $20,000 a year at the time that she married a baseball player earning $6 million a year is entitled, in the event of a divorce, to $3 million for each year of the marriage and probably more.
13. A man's opinions on how to rear and/or raise a child are invalid because he is not the child's mother. However, his financial obligation is greater because no woman gets pregnant by herself.
14. Disagreeing with any of these statements makes you anti-woman and/or a misogynist.
15. Legislature Seats must be allocated to women and women must be allowed to bypass the democratic winnowing process in order to guarantee female representation and, thereby, make democracy fairer.
I'm replying to Michael B.'s fax from yesterday, the only support I've gotten from anyone on the latest go-round with Jeff Smith and Gary Groth:
Well, let me refute your argument in reverse order.
The nature of the "facts" since society has been taken over by Marxist-feminism is that facts no longer apply, or rather non-facts are deemed to be facts. Unless you believe that the genders are interchangeable and equal, you are deemed to be insane, ergo, I am insane. That would be the verdict in any court of law. I'm forcing a choice between feminism and sanity and, as we've seen in the comics field, given a choice, everyone is going to opt for feminism over sanity on a 100% universal basis, judges and juries included, at least so far (hope springs eternal)
Even if it were possible to get a fair hearing in a court of law and even if I was to have a verdict rendered in my favour, by successfully suing Gary and THE COMICS JOURNAL all I would manage to do is to take food out of the mouths of the Fantagraphics creators who are already being paid late. I don't think the structure of Fantagraphics has changed appreciably since the time they had to go begging to the comics community to get enough money to make up for all the money they lost they last time they had a distributor go bankrupt on them. As far as I know most of their sales are still in the mainstream bookstore market which means all of their money is tied up for at least 120 days and even that is pending returns of however many books they've had to ship to the mainstream bookstores over the last however long a period of time. It's not Jaime and Gilbert's fault that Gary has actively worked to sabotage my career, but they – and the other Fantagraphics creators – would be the ones to pay the price if I was to recover damages.
I also, personally, don't believe that these things have a place in a court of law. I don't believe in going and finding the Big Policeman and getting him to punish the bad man and kiss my boo-boo and make it better. I've taken a major hit over opposing feminism. Well, okay, presumably I was picked for that by God because He knew I wasn't going to cave in and that I knew it was my own choice to get involved in the dispute so win, lose or draw I have to live with what happens. I think I was also picked because I'm a fast typist and I'm pretty eloquent, so I can leave a paper trail. Not only for the future generations that will presumably bring Marxist-feminism to crashing ruin because you can only build so large a castle on unstable sand before the unworkability of it eventually brings it to crashing ruin, but also for the overall lesson that it will teach: here was an environment where everyone except Dave Sim was a Marxist-feminist or an abstainer who consequently was a Marxist-feminist supporter. Here's the paper trail. Here's the whole 800 million words over (twenty years? Thirty years? Forty years?) where Dave Sim was the only one taking the side of scientific evidence, irrefutable facts and common sense. To me, it will be a valuable lesson to the human race. "You always think you have everything figured out and you never do and you always try to destroy people who point that out to you instead of learning from them".
The Courts were the first place the Marxist-feminists targeted for takeover, Mike: after that the institutions of higher learning, then the media. The political arena is proving a tougher nut to crack because you have to be elected which means you have to know how to compete to win against your opponents, persuade those who share your own ideology and earn the trust of the electorate, both those who share your ideology and those who don't. That's not the Marxist-feminist way. The Marxist-feminist way is totalitarian. Capitulate or we will crush you. The courts capitulated, the universities capitulated, the media capitulated. Structurally, elected office can't capitulate even though right now it desperately wants to.
It's certainly popularly believed among a certain constituency that "anyone in [my] life who has actually spent time with [me] on a professional level has said that [I'm] an outstanding human being" but not out loud, and certainly not publicly. If they had my situation now would be different. No, the best that happens is that they first say that they disagree with everything that I think but they believe I have a right to my misguided, hateful, poisonous opinions. What they are doing is establishing that they have capitulated to Marxist-feminism, they know the "right way" to think and they are scrupulous in thinking that way. So what's the next effect? Dave Sim is a lone nut and the Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast are actually the Fifteen Shining Truths Which Guide Our Society.
"What good does a war of words do?" Well, for the last thirteen years no good at all. Possibly for the next fifty years, no good at all. But my assumption is, and always will be, that if you can make a persuasive case and when your case is supported by the facts then even the most impenetrable concrete skull must, at last, be penetrated. But let's bear in mind that a vast majority of the human population still believes that Marxism will ultimately prove to be our salvation as a society even though Marxism has failed and been discredited everywhere that it has been attempted. That's a lot of concrete to break through. Whether you graft Islam onto Marxism (Hamas, Hezbollah, The PLO) or feminism onto it (the infrastructure of our society at present) or capitalism onto it (Today's All New China!) it's still fundamentally unsound because it's a zero sum construct. It can't actually survive without constant replenishment of its resources from outside sources. Hamas and Hezbollah are only viable because the EU continues to pump billions of dollars into both. Feminism is only viable because of alimony, affirmative action, Marxist government subsidies and lowered standards. China is only viable to the extent that it exerts Draconian oppression on its populace and to the extent to which it adopts market economy practices. The market economy is sustainable. Imprisoning anyone who disagrees with you isn't sustainable in the long term but as long as you're willing to eradicate all opposition it is sustainable in the short term. I never thought I'd see myself agreeing with Mia Farrow on anything, but I agree with Mia Farrow. Let's call the Beijing Olympics the Genocide Olympics. Let's bring huge Genocide Olympics signs with us and carry them in the big opening ceremonies parades. GO, DALAI LAMA signs FREE TIBET signs REMEMBER TIANNAMEN SQUARE signs.
Obviously, there is a great deal at stake, so I seek to lead as close to an exemplary life as I can manage. For one thing it's the right thing to do, but for another thing it means that the focus stays on Marxist feminism. The only thing I can be indicted for in our society is for choosing not to be a Marxist feminist and for opposing Marxist feminism publicly and specifically.
If I ever chose not to do that, I think my sleep would be very troubled. Because I choose to stand up for what I think is right, I sleep like a baby.
And just to be completely clear, at no point do you take issue with Marxist-feminism in your fax. Which means I'm still entirely alone in this. Which means the construct still holds: the comic-book field is, universally, a Marxist-feminist construct which applauds, endorses and encourages the vilification, shunning and denunciation of Dave Sim: there are no exceptions to that statement.
As always, I just want to keep the historical record 100% accurate.
Okay, that gets me all caught up on the mail and I can assure you, that will about do it for the good news this time out. Next up, I'll be addressing a couple of members of your Marxist-feminist team: first, Gary Groth and then Asa M. Larsson.
Those interested in the latest exchange of viewpoints with Gary Groth can click here and thanks to Jeff Tundis' prodigious efforts it will take you right there.
I'll start the next batch of Blog & Mails with Asa M. Larsson's letter regarding the Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast.
Tomorrow: More Darrell Epp & Victor Davis Hanson
REPLIES POSTED ON THE CEREBUS YAHOO! GROUP
If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:
Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
P.O. Box 1674
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2
Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:
Or, you can check out Mars Import:
Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors.