Monday, April 09, 2007

Dave Sim's blogandmail #210 (April 9th, 2007)



_____________________________________________________

Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast That Make You a Good Feminist

1. A mother who works a full-time job and delegates to strangers the raising of her children eight hours a day, five days a week does just as good a job as a mother who hand-rears her children full time.

2. It makes great sense for the government to pay 10 to 15,000 dollars a year to fund a daycare space for a child so its mother - who pays perhaps 2,000 dollars in taxes - can be a contributing member of society.

3. A woman's doctor has more of a valid claim to participate in the decision to abort a fetus than does the father of that fetus.

4. So long as a woman makes a decision after consulting with her doctor, she is incapable of making an unethical choice.

5. A car with two steering wheels, two gas pedals and two brakes drives more efficiently than a car with one steering wheel, one gas pedal and one brake which is why marriage should always be an equal partnership.

6. It is absolutely necessary for women to be allowed to join or participate fully in any gathering place for men, just as it is absolutely necessary that there be women only environments from which men are excluded.

7. Because it involves taking jobs away from men and giving them to women, affirmative action makes for a fairer and more just society.

8. It is important to have lower physical standards for women firepersons and women policepersons so that, one day, half of all firepersons and policepersons will be women, thus more effectively protecting the safety of the public.

9. Affirmative action at colleges and universities needs to be maintained now that more women than men are being enrolled, in order to keep from giving men an unfair advantage academically.

10. Having ensured that there is no environment for men where women don't belong (see no.6) it is important to have zero tolerance of any expression or action which any woman might regard as sexist to ensure greater freedom for everyone.

11. Only in a society which maintains a level of 95% of alimony and child support being paid by men to women can men and women be considered as equals.

12. An airline stewardess who earned $20,000 a year at the time that she married a baseball player earning $6 million a year is entitled, in the event of a divorce, to $3 million for each year of the marriage and probably more.

13. A man's opinions on how to rear and/or raise a child are invalid because he is not the child's mother. However, his financial obligation is greater because no woman gets pregnant by herself.

14. Disagreeing with any of these statements makes you anti-woman and/or a misogynist.

15. Legislature Seats must be allocated to women and women must be allowed to bypass the democratic winnowing process in order to guarantee female representation and, thereby, make democracy fairer.

_____________________________________________________


Just a reminder that the

Cerebus t-shirts

CEREBUS FOR DICTATOR

And

CEREBUS: HE DOESN'T LOVE YOU

HE JUST WANTS ALL YOUR MONEY

Are back in print from Graphitti Designs

And can be ordered individually from

GRAPHITTI DESIGNS

TOLL FREE 800-699-0115

OR CLICK ON

www.graphittidesigns.com

$17.95 each ($20.95 for XXL) plus postage



Nice letter from Chad Lambert:


Hi Dave!


Hope you're recovering from your illness. Every member of my family has been grounded with some form of flu virus, so I can relate. I actually wound up with a double ear infection out of the deal. I haven't had an ear infection since I was six years old, so it has been an enlightening, albeit muted, experience.



WHAT'S THAT, CHAD? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP!! Just kidding (sort of).


I wanted to drop you a line to again thank you for another nod as a Day Prize Short List finalist for 2006. I am again humbled and honored that someone "gets" what I'm doing. Especially this time around.


Too Much Matheson marks a turning point for me, and it is a very personal one. At some point in 2006, I came to the realization I was writing some major crap. I guess I was trying to make what I thought everyone else wanted. In short, I wasted a lot of time creating other people's visions.


So I took a stand: no more crap.


If I'm not making comics for myself, why bother? I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think Too Much Matheson was a moment of realization for me: I found my voice. It was also a moment of discovery: I'm an Indy guy to the core.


I can't express how much it means to me to have this short story included in such wonderful company this year. I was terrified in 2003 that Possum at Large was beginner's luck; I was terrified at the very thought of making Point Pleasant in 2005 because it was so far removed from my comfort zone as a writer; I was terrified to even send Tom Williams the script for Too Much Matheson last year because it was the first time I've pulled from all that good stuff that makes us human.


Blathering aside, I can't wait to be a part of the 2006 ceremony. Thanks again! It really means the world to me. Especially this time around.



No problem. I'm looking forward to it myself and I hope we see some new faces come out this year to the Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo (SPACE) in Columbus Ohio. Click on www.backporchcomics.com for details. They've got a great room rate at Extended Stay America 4200 Stelzer Rd. in Columbus -- $69.99 a night – but you have to call 614-428-6022 and ask for the "SPACE Event room block.". The special rate isn't available on-line or at their 800 number. Extended Stay America your Yahoo Home Away From Home in Columbus Ohio!


I'll be coming in Thursday to catch the Will Eisner: Storyteller exhibit at Ohio State University's Cartoon Research Library's Reading Room Gallery (it's on from April 2 to June 8 and features two complete Spirit stories from the 1940s as well as examples of Will's later work). Hope to see you there as well!


There's MORE FOR YOU

In TODAY'S BLOG &

MAAAAIIILLLL!

___________________________________________________

REPLIES POSTED ON THE CEREBUS YAHOO! GROUP
___________________________________________________
If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
P.O. Box 1674
Station C
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

Win-Mill Productions

Or, you can check out Mars Import:

Mars Import

Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors.